Opened 23 months ago
Last modified 19 months ago
Bad channel crash loop - Problem since v 0.18
|Reported by:||al5121024@…||Owned by:|
|Component:||MythTV - General||Version:||0.24|
|Severity:||medium||Keywords:||channel starting channel|
Minor Problem: Channel scan finds 100s of invalid, non-existent channels. Tuning to an invalid channel in LiveTV crashes to main menu.
Major problem: No fast way to recover. Fastest way is to close down, run backend setup and manually change the starting channel. No big deal if it's one channel, one time. 5 minutes or so to fix. Major problem is that if you are trying to label 500 channels, 200 crashes are going to add an extra 16 hours to the time it takes.
I regret to report that this has been a problem since at least version 0.18 (see link). I have seen lots of people asking for this to be fixed.
Forget about fixing the "crash when the data is bad" problem.
The real problem (can't quickly recover from crash) is an incredibly simple problem to make a good workaround. Please accept my suggestion for one or more of the following seven ways to workaround it.
1) On crash, return to last working channel
2) On crash, return to a pre-set channel (e.g., channel 2_1)
3) On crash, tune to analog tuner (for those of us with analog and digital tuners)
4) Option for a "what channel do you want" to pop up when selecting live TV, before trying to turn to TCC (the Crash Channel).
5) An option to have a fixed starting channel rather than a variable one.
6) A simple command line program to change to another startup channel while frontend is running.
7) Let us tune to a channel from the channel guide in "schedule recordings" instead of only live TV (which crashes before we can get there).
8) When it crashes, offer the option to delete the channel then and there (then tune to default channel when starting).
In short, if you can't stop the thing from crashing on particular channels, please provide some very fast way to get away from a bad channel. I would be happy to tab to a terminal, then re-run a command line every time it crashes.
If it matters, I have HDhomerun. Oh, and this isn't the SD/HD bug. It happens regardless of what channel you start from, only the destination channel matters.
So could somebody please, please fix this so that those of us whose cable company shuffles the channels from time to time don't have to spend days weeding out the bad ones?
Change History (10)
comment:1 Changed 23 months ago by stuartm
- Keywords Bad bug crash removed
- Severity changed from high to medium
- Type changed from Bug Report - Crash to Bug Report - General
comment:2 Changed 23 months ago by wagnerrp
- Status changed from new to infoneeded_new
comment:3 Changed 23 months ago by al5121024@…
comment:4 Changed 23 months ago by al5121024@…
comment:5 Changed 23 months ago by al5121024@…
comment:6 Changed 23 months ago by mdean
comment:7 Changed 23 months ago by al5121024@…
comment:8 Changed 21 months ago by beirdo
- Status changed from infoneeded_new to new
- Version changed from Unspecified to 0.24