Opened 12 years ago

Closed 9 years ago

#3274 closed task (wontfix)

Lossless/MPEG2 transcode doesn't work on HD recordings

Reported by: xris Owned by: Isaac Richards
Priority: minor Milestone: unknown
Component: MythTV - Mythtranscode Version: head
Severity: medium Keywords: mythtranscode
Cc: Ticket locked: no

Description

Tried to remove commercials from some HD recordings, and mythtranscode just exits with "Error".

Change History (6)

comment:1 Changed 12 years ago by paulh

Component: mythtvmythtranscode

comment:2 Changed 12 years ago by robert.mcnamara@…

I have uploaded a few files that exhibit this issue for troubleshooting. This error *only* occurs with firewire recordings, and QAM recordings invariably transcode successfully.

The two files, recorded from firewire on Comcast cable (anything recorded in HD via firewire exhibits this problem):

http://idisk.mac.com/r.mcnamara-Public?view=web

Files are firewireerror1.mpg, and firewireerror2.mpg. I have dd'ed out the first 5 MB of the larger recording for easy downloading.

comment:3 Changed 11 years ago by territ0ry@…

I also have this problem with firewire recordings. I get "Transcode failed with status: 136"

If anybody has a solution please post, I want to be able to cut out the first few seconds of a recording thats still of previous channel ;/

comment:4 Changed 11 years ago by robert.mcnamara@…

While we (hopefully) work towards a more permanent solution, I have found a workaround that basically works. I have written a script that demuxes and remuxes the broken recordings, resulting in a file that does, finally, work with myth's lossless transcode. I've put it on my talk page at the mythtv wiki:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User_talk:Iamlindoro

This is the first solution that I know of that doesn't use a Windows program through Wine. ProjectX has never worked for me, but this appears to work consistently. Read the comments on the script carefully. You will need to compile one tiny prerequisite, and will also need ffmpeg. The script should be set up as a user job, and I personally run in on all recordings from my Firewire source. There is no quality loss involved as there is no real transcoding, just demux/remux. I use mythtranscode to rebuild the index of the file (mythcommflag --rebuild doesn't work properly) but no quality is lost there. The resultant file can be marked and losslessly transcoded successfully. Obviously the elegant solution is to get mythtranscode fixed, but this is working for me in the meantime.

comment:5 Changed 10 years ago by stuartm

Component: mythtranscodeMythTV - Mythtranscode
Type: defecttask

comment:6 Changed 9 years ago by robertm

Resolution: wontfix
Status: newclosed

Dead ticket with no change in years, no logs, no ownership. Closing.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.