Modify

Opened 8 years ago

Closed 7 years ago

#7659 closed enhancement (Won't Fix)

Determine audio properties from recorded file instead of schedule data

Reported by: doug@… Owned by: danielk
Priority: minor Milestone: 0.25
Component: MythTV - Recording Version: Master Head
Severity: medium Keywords:
Cc: Ticket locked: no

Description

Hi All,

I found that the audio properties (e.g. Dolby, Stereo, etc) in my schedule data were often different from the actual content of my recorded files. This is a patch to update the audio properties after a recording finishes with the values that are in the file as opposed to the ones passed from the listings source.

The patch includes a new class called AudioPropsGenerator? which works similarly to PreviewGenerator?. It takes a ProgramInfo? and will then determine the AudioProperties? in the current thread or a new thread. I've also updated tv_rec.cpp to call this Generator after a recording ends. Finally, each decoder (avformatdecoder, nuppeldecoder, etc) is responsible for doing the actual work of determining the audio properties. The generator then takes the new value and updates the db.

There are a few open issues (mainly around my ignorance):

  1. I don't know too much about audio processing, so I guessed that the speaker layout is a good proxy for determining the audio props. This seems to prove true for my test cases, but I don't know if this applies to everyone.


  1. I don't know too much about the hard hearing properties so I guessed on that too.


  1. I don't know what the visual impair property is so I ignored it


  1. I don't have any recorders that use the nuppledecoder so I wrote the code, but I couldn't test it.


Thanks!

Doug

Attachments (2)

audioprops.patch (18.7 KB) - added by doug@… 8 years ago.
audioprops.100526.patch (19.5 KB) - added by Doug Haber <doug@…> 8 years ago.
This patch should apply against 24875 (post hdaudio merge)

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (14)

Changed 8 years ago by doug@…

comment:1 Changed 8 years ago by robertm

  • Component changed from MythTV - General to MythTV - Recording
  • Owner changed from ijr to danielk

comment:2 Changed 8 years ago by danielk

  • Type changed from patch to enhancement

Doug, this is an interesting enhancement. Can you update it to apply against jya's http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/branches/mythtv-hdaudio branch (or trunk if you see this after the merge of that branch to trunk) ?

comment:3 Changed 8 years ago by doug@…

Hi,

I'm a little scared of moving to the hdaudio branch, but I've been keeping this patch up to date locally so when the hdaudio branch is merged with trunk I'll be sure to post here with my changes.

Thanks!

D

Changed 8 years ago by Doug Haber <doug@…>

This patch should apply against 24875 (post hdaudio merge)

comment:4 Changed 8 years ago by Doug Haber <doug@…>

Hi,

I attached a new patch that applies against 24875 (post hdaudio merge). There's lots of room for improvement (e.g. I didn't improve on 1-4 above, and the AudioGenerator? is basically a copy of the PreviewGenerator? - they should probably share a common base class). But hopefully this can be a start.


Thanks!

D

comment:5 Changed 8 years ago by robertm

  • Status changed from new to assigned

comment:6 Changed 8 years ago by danielk

  • Owner changed from danielk to jyavenard

comment:7 Changed 8 years ago by jyavenard

  • Owner jyavenard deleted
  • Status changed from assigned to new

I don't think I'm the best one to handle this one..

comment:8 Changed 8 years ago by robertm

  • Owner set to stuartm
  • Status changed from new to assigned

Hot Potato

comment:9 Changed 7 years ago by stuartm

  • Milestone changed from unknown to 0.25
  • Status changed from assigned to accepted
  • Version changed from head to Trunk Head

comment:10 Changed 7 years ago by stuartm

  • Milestone 0.25 deleted

Milestone 0.25 deleted

comment:11 Changed 7 years ago by stuartm

  • Owner changed from stuartm to danielk
  • Status changed from accepted to assigned

comment:12 Changed 7 years ago by danielk

  • Resolution set to Won't Fix
  • Status changed from assigned to closed

Doug, while interesting I don't think it makes sense as is. The audio properties of a recording can change during the recording. To do this properly I think we need to note the audio properties in the entire file during something like the commflag run and then determine the static audio properties based on those properties in effect through most of the recording.

Add Comment

Modify Ticket

Action
as closed The owner will remain danielk.
The resolution will be deleted. Next status will be 'new'.
Author


E-mail address and user name can be saved in the Preferences.

 
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.