Opened 10 years ago

Closed 10 years ago

#8476 closed defect (fixed)

Internal player MythVideo playback of some videos slow

Reported by: ramccor@… Owned by: JYA
Priority: minor Milestone: 0.24
Component: MythTV - Audio Output Version: 0.23-fixes
Severity: medium Keywords: internal player
Cc: Ticket locked: no

Description

I have a mess (around 1.5TB) of mp4 files that were created with various versions of Nero Recode. All of which play properly with mplayer, However, playback with the internal myth player is extremely slow for both audio and video. I started the mythfrontend with the "-v playback" option and capured the output.

I have also created a clip of the first 50MB of one file to illustrate the issue at http://www.pluribus.org/MythPlayerTest.mp4

Attachments (2)

mythdebug-Internal.txt (447.0 KB) - added by ramccor@… 10 years ago.
Playback of the file with the mythtv internal viewer
mythdebug-mplayer.txt (8.9 KB) - added by ramccor@… 10 years ago.
Playback of the test file with mplayer (for comparison)

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (10)

Changed 10 years ago by ramccor@…

Attachment: mythdebug-Internal.txt added

Playback of the file with the mythtv internal viewer

Changed 10 years ago by ramccor@…

Attachment: mythdebug-mplayer.txt added

Playback of the test file with mplayer (for comparison)

comment:1 Changed 10 years ago by markk

Component: MythTV - Video PlaybackMythTV - Audio Output
Milestone: unknown0.24
Owner: changed from Janne Grunau to JYA

Ronald,

Thanks for the file. This is clearly an audio related issue:-

  • playback is fine using a passthrough device (i.e. external audio decode)
  • playback is OK with a build that does not have libfaad enabled but most of the tracks are missing.
  • playback is broken when libfaad is enabled at compile time (with the same errors noted in your logs)

comment:2 Changed 10 years ago by JYA

Status: newaccepted

Could you please try the mythtv-hdaudio branch and report if this is working for you?

the problem should have been fixed there...

comment:3 Changed 10 years ago by ramccor@…

Is this branch based on 0.23-fixes or trunk? IE - Is it still compatible with the 0.23-fixes backend? I am just checking on the level of caution that I need for it. It is being checked out now.

comment:4 Changed 10 years ago by JYA

mythtv-hdaudio is very closely following trunk

I attempted a backport to 0.23 yesterday of the audio framework, but it turned out to be way too complex for my liking, and I would have had nothing to test it with

comment:5 Changed 10 years ago by anonymous

Understood, I will need to build a new machine to test this on. (Definitely willing to do so as this would correct an issue that I have had since I started using mythtv) That means it will probably be the weekend before I can test.

comment:6 Changed 10 years ago by ramccor@…

The new build gave me a bit of grief with the ALSA mixer (Kept complaining about operation not permitted even after the /dev/snd/* files device files were mode 666. I switched the mixer from alsa:default to software and it mixed correctly everything sounded correct. (I will try again to troubleshoot the ALSA issue this weekend) To ensure that it WASNT the mixer setting making it work, I switched that setting on my main gear and confirmed no that it was still broken.

So, it looks like your updates at least improved it.

NOTE: speaker-test and aplay were able to play correctly via alsa, so I am not sure why mythfrontend refused to work with the mixer not set to software.

comment:7 Changed 10 years ago by ramccor@…

Ran the hdaudio branch until last night. Converted to trunk at that time. Everything is now working as expected. (FINALLY, mplayer is gone from being need for the content on my myth setups :-) ) Thank you. I consider the issue closed at this point.

comment:8 Changed 10 years ago by Raymond Wagner

Resolution: fixed
Status: acceptedclosed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.