Opened 6 years ago

Closed 6 years ago

#11350 closed Bug Report - Hang/Deadlock (Upstream Bug)

0.26 UI instability under Intel UXA

Reported by: jerome.kelleher@… Owned by:
Priority: minor Milestone: unknown
Component: MythTV - General Version: 0.26-fixes
Severity: medium Keywords:
Cc: Ticket locked: no

Description

When using UXA acceleration on intel graphics hardware (the default) the user interface freezes/crashes under certain circumstances. There are two I've found:

1) In mythgallery, selecting a photo to view in fullscreen shows a black screen. Exiting from this shows the mythgallery screen, but any further UI interaction results in a segfault.

2) mythtv-setup freezes/segfaults when entering particular menus. I think this is the same as this bug reported elsewhere:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/31939

Both of these problems go away when I enable SNA following this how-to:

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/how-to-enable-intel-sna-acceleration-in.html

I'm running a stock ubuntu 12.10 using the 0.26 ppa on an Intel core i3-530. Please let me know if you would like more information or if I should report this problem elsewhere.

This problem arose immediately after upgrading to 0.26 some months ago.

Change History (3)

comment:1 Changed 6 years ago by danielk

Status: newinfoneeded_new

Jerome, we're going to need backtraces to debug this. My hunch is this is an upstream bug in the intel drivers, but at this point there is little evidence to point them to.

comment:2 in reply to:  1 Changed 6 years ago by jerome.kelleher@…

Replying to danielk:

Jerome, we're going to need backtraces to debug this. My hunch is this is an upstream bug in the intel drivers, but at this point there is little evidence to point them to.

I agree with you, I think it is a bug in the upstream drivers as it seems to be a rare problem. Do you want backtraces from GDB or just the output of the mythtv logs? I don't think the mythtv logs will help very much - I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. I've been trying to get to the bottom of it for a few months and made no progress until I tried enabling SNA - and this fixes it completely.

I'm not sure it's worth expending much effort on this, since there is a simple work around, UXA is on the way out, and SNA is much better in any case. I thought it best to report the bug in case other users are struggling with the same problem.

Let me know what you'd like me to do anyway.

comment:3 Changed 6 years ago by paulh

Resolution: Upstream Bug
Status: infoneeded_newclosed

Sounds like an upstream bug

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.