Modify

Opened 7 years ago

Closed 7 years ago

#9568 closed Bug Report (Fixed)

Closed Captions/Subtitles (DVB) can stay onscreen indefinitely

Reported by: vk2fab@… Owned by: markk
Priority: minor Milestone: 0.24.1
Component: MythTV - Video/OSD Rendering Version: 0.24-fixes
Severity: medium Keywords: DVB Closed Captions
Cc: Ticket locked: no

Description

Hello there,

I have observed that whilst watching a DVB (not ATSC) recorded program with DVB closed captions switched on, that captions may remain on screen indefinitely.

Allow me to clarify using example:

  • The last line of dialogue prior to a commercial break may be 'Goodbye sir'. The caption 'Goodbye sir' appears as it should - however, this caption may remain onscreen for the duration of the commercial break - until it is 'cleared' by a new caption.
  • There may be significant period of silence between one dialogue and another. For this duration a caption will remain on screen, only to be cleared when the new dialogue is captioned.

If I tune DVB using my Television receiver, captions behave 'normally' - as they used to in previous versions of MythTV. I have only observed this since upgrading to .24 (from .23) - which was some time ago now.

Also, though I realise this is not the forum for feature request but I also notice that Closed Captions (DVB) appear consistently somewhat prematurely. That is to say perhaps 300 milliseconds (or more) before they normally would (if watching DVB using TV). Could there be a funtion added to 'delay' captions before displaying on screen?

I trust my report makes sense - let me know if otherwise.

--

Attachments (1)

MythFrontend-20110213-Cleaned.log (82.3 KB) - added by vk2fab@… 7 years ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (8)

comment:1 Changed 7 years ago by markk

  • Status changed from new to infoneeded_new

Can you please attach the full output of 'mythfrontend -v playback' for a recording that shows the issue (subtitles remain indefinitely). Alternatively, please generate a clip of sufficient length (60-120 seconds) and upload it to filebin.ca. Thanks, Mark

comment:2 Changed 7 years ago by vk2fab@…

Hi Mark,

That (in my situation is easier said than done - at least until I can attach a keyboard to a frontend again). Do you need the clip to SEE the symptom (IE, can I point a camera at screen so you can see what I am on about), or do you need to see the actual file for analysis?

Let me know and I'll get something to you in the following days.

-- F

comment:3 Changed 7 years ago by markk

By far the easiest way for me to see - and actually fix - the problem, is to get a short clip. I'll take your word for it that they stay on screen:) - but the log is only going to tell me so much.

comment:4 Changed 7 years ago by vk2fab@…

Okay Mark - thanks,

If I transcode something, I seem to lose the caption information, therefore I have crudely performed a 'point and shoot' which illustrates the issue. In this case, the recording was of 'Star Trek' which is not captioned but some commercials are. This illustrates the issue very well as the caption (McDONALD'S THEME) remains at the top of the screen and will remain there until I 'toggle' captions or the next captioned programme (commercial in this case) comes.

As far as 'filebin.ca' is concerned - be darned if I can get to it from where I am - it simply is not responding (at least to TCP connections to port 80) and has not been since I tried it after your first post. The clip I have is only about 14 megabytes in length - so perhaps I can get it to you by some other means.

I have a notebook with remote frontend which I can get the output of the logs - but there doesn't seem to be much in there (not that I know what I am looking for). I'll provide the output in my next post anyway.

Thanks again,

-- F

Changed 7 years ago by vk2fab@…

comment:5 follow-up: Changed 7 years ago by vk2fab@…

Hello again Mark,

Frontend Log File attached. This from a wireless connected frontend on a notebook computer. Both Systems using Fedora 14 and MythTV from RPM (atrpms).

File: MythFrontend-20110213-Cleaned.log attached.

Thanks,

-- F

comment:6 in reply to: ↑ 5 Changed 7 years ago by markk

  • Milestone changed from unknown to 0.24.1
  • Status changed from infoneeded_new to new

Replying to vk2fab@…:

Hello again Mark,

Frontend Log File attached. This from a wireless connected frontend on a notebook computer. Both Systems using Fedora 14 and MythTV from RPM (atrpms).

Thanks for the log - I've spotted the symptom. When using Xvideo for playback the old teletext subtitle isn't getting cleared (VDPAU and OpenGL are both fine). There's no need for anything else - I should be able to track it down from there.

comment:7 Changed 7 years ago by markk

  • Resolution set to Fixed
  • Status changed from new to closed

Fixed in 9980fcf452101d8e3a18 (master) and 809ec68ee24e028ac6e1 (fixes/0.24)

Add Comment

Modify Ticket

Action
as closed The owner will remain markk.
The resolution will be deleted. Next status will be 'new'.
Author


E-mail address and user name can be saved in the Preferences.

 
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.